Mindfulness is NOT a Self-Improvement Project

“Mindfulness is NOT a Self-Improvement Project” This is the first thing I write on the whiteboard when I start leading a new in-house mindfulness group or when I’m starting to work with some of our community partners and treatment centers. I want the participants to...

No Such Thing as a True Story

No Such Thing as a True Story I recently attended the Young Adult Transition Association (YATA) conference in Boulder, Colorado.  (It was excellent, btw!) I love returning to Boulder. It’s my home away from home where I lived and worked for nearly a decade and where I...

How to Be A Helicopter Parent

Ok. I got called out when I posted some pictures of my daughter learning to ride a bicycle. My sister commented, “Nice photo bombs, helicopter dad!” Well, she’s only 6 I thought, and…., and…. Then she’ll be 12, then 18, then 26 and someday she’ll be 30, and I just...

Therapeutic process as a religious experience?

I want to share three things in this blog post. First is my favorite word in any language or tradition. Second is my own conversion experience, so to speak. And third is my hope for clients and clinicians alike. Darshan The word darshan is a Sanskrit term that means...